High DB2 activity of IBM Connections Homepage database – Part 2
Some time ago I wrote about a problem with the search application that caused some serious problems in one our IBM Connections environment. The search index did not refresh and the size of the homepage database grew up to 18 GB in size (compressed database backup).
After long discussions with IBM support team, we got a L3 contact that found the following errors in the trace logs:
Running several “off-tasks” to force the search index to rebuild did not proceed…
Solving the problem
The hint from the IBM was to search for 0 KB file in the data/shared/ExtractedText folder. After we found and deleted the file, the search started working again…
But this didn`t clean out all the bad data entries from the database “Homepage” – the size of a compressed backup was still about 18 GB!!!.
So in our maintenance window for our customer we additionally had to run the following steps to get rid of the bad data:
1) Stop the Homepage/News/Search Server
2) Backup the Homepage database
3) Run reorg.sql on the Homepage database
4) Run “REORG TABLE HOMEPAGE.SR_INDEX_DOCS LONGLOBDATA”
5) Run updateStats.sql
6) Check tablespace size.
After running these steps, we created another backup and checked the size. I was surprised about the result, because it was a real big difference. The size of the compressed backups changed from 18 GB to 338 MB!!
With this result we were able to close the PMR 😉
Addtionally, IBM wants to release an APAR for this problem to rather skip 0 kb files than making the searchindex go creazy 😉